Healthcare and Pre-PSW (Pre-Personal Support Worker)
April 8, 2019 - June 28, 2019, 8:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
This course is an employment language program that is best-suited for the learner who wishes to pursue a career in an area related to the healthcare field. It specifically prepares the student for familiarity in the various fields as well as terminology and working English. This course is also ideal for the learner looking to enter the Personal Support Worker Program (PSW). This course combines 8 weeks of in-class instruction with 4 weeks of work placement with a healthcare related employer.
Canadian workplace experience and exposure to potential employers is a great way to open up future employment doors.
Overview of Healthcare and Pre-PSW:
- Working with Clients & Families, Stress Management
- Canadian Health Care System
- Abuse, Rights & Responsibilities
- Safety, Assisting with Medications
- Personal Care
- Basic Nutrition
- Exercise & Activity
- Employment readiness including resume, cover letter, job search, and interviews skills
- Canadian work experience
Work Placements (4 weeks)
- Work experience in healthcare offices such as dental, medical office, physiotherapy, or optometry; a pharmacy; or a long-term care facility such as a nursing home or retirement residence.
Training and Certifications include:
- CPR C/AED
- Infection Control (Hand washing)
Canadian Language Benchmark – Level 4 or higher